March 17, 2023 17:37 GMT
Social Security And Medicare Strategy In Focus Ahead Of House GOP Huddle
HomepagePolitical Market NewsPolitical RiskPolitical Risk BulletBulletMarketsFixed Income NewsForeign Exchange News
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) will lead the annual House Republican retreat in Florida from Sunday to Tuesday.
- On Sunday, GOP Reps will be briefed by NRCC Chairman Richard Hudson and president of the Congressional Leadership Fund, Dan Conston, and there will be a panel on foreign policy.
- On Monday, GOP lawmakers will hold panels on the economy and debt, securing the border, and discuss their election-season governing manifesto, the 'Commitment to America.'
- On Tuesday, lawmakers will hold a session on energy policy to discuss HR1, their flagship energy package which was released this week.
- Punchbowl News reports: “Occasionally GOP retreats end up being consequential affairs. In 2014, then-Speaker John Boehner tried to convince his party to coalesce around immigration reform – to no avail. In 2011, House Republicans strategized on the debt limit. We know how that worked out.”
- A primary objective of the retreat will be how to flip the narrative on Democrat accusations that a Republican government would cut popular social entitlement programmes.
- A new Ipsos poll has shown that nearly 90% of US adults oppose cutting Social Security and Medicare spending.