January 19, 2023 13:52 GMT
UK Def Min Wallace: We're In This For The Long Haul
Metals bulletEM BulletFixed Income NewsHomepagePolitical RiskCommoditiesPolitical Risk BulletEnergy BulletsBulletMarketsEmerging Markets NewsForeign Exchange NewsUSPolitical Market News
UK Defence Minister Ben Wallace, speaking at a press conference in Estonia, has said that allies of Ukraine are, "in this for the long haul."
- Wallace continued: "If [Russian President Vladimir] Putin is banking on us getting bored, he is wrong."
- Wallace: "2023 is time to turn Ukrainian momentum in gains."
- Wallace's comments come as UK officials attempt to drum up support for sending main battle tanks to Ukraine and follows a watershed decision over the weekend to approve the transfer of 14 Challenger 2 tanks.
- Wallace will travel to the US Ramstein Air Base in Germany tomorrow to attend the eighth session of the Ukraine Contact Group where he is expected to apply pressure on German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius to approve the transfer of Leopard 2 battle tanks to Ukraine, considered the only battle tank suitable for the creation of an effective Ukrainian tank division.
- Next up: NATO Military Chiefs will deliver a press conference following two-days of talks at NATO HQ in Brussels, Belgium.
- The presser will being shortly and can be followed here: https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/events_67375.htm