May 11, 2022 18:55 GMT
US State Department Spokesperson Ned Price has stated at his daily presser that 'US policy towards Taiwan has not changed.' Price says that 'US remains committed to long standing 'One China Policy.''
- Price: 'We do not support Taiwan independence. We have repeatedly made this clear in public, and in private that the US does not have diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
- Price confirms however that: 'We do have a robust 'unofficial' relationship with Taiwan.'
- The remarks come in response to speculation that official US policy had changed following alterations on the State Department website.
- Chinese news service Caixin: 'China has accused the US of attempting to change the status quo across the Taiwan Strait by removing some key expressions of Washington’s positions on its ties with Taiwan from the U.S. State Department’s website.'
- Taiwan Plus: 'China has reacted angrily to the U.S. changing the State Department fact sheet on Taiwan, including the removal of a statement saying the U.S. does not support Taiwan independence.'
- Price's presser can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLlh8AY59M